Friday, April 4, 2008

I admit it!

I admit it .........today I am exhausted!

My poor back is in need of rest. Of course the rainy weather doesn't help but days like today remind me that someday I will need one of the motorized scooters to get around and my farming days are numbered.

I am sure that if I would stop falling down it would help immensely. Nothing lately irks me more than landing on my assorted body parts while challenging gravity to stay upright. I used to be pretty well balanced but with the mud and muck around, loose footing and rocks, well, I have been bouncing (more likely that is my imagination) off the ground more than usual. While at the angel girls concert last night (which was very nice) I couldn't even sit down. I will push on today as usual, maybe not as bright and cheery (yes this is bright and cheery for me) but forever onward and forward.

Two new calves yesterday brought in from other farms. Calf scours, so I immediately switched them to goats milk along with some bismuth and Albon and they, although still squirty, look much brighter and content. Poor things. I know they are destined to be veal but the conditions that they came from were less than nice. I appreciate how much care that I give my critters. Kindness always pays off no matter whom is on the receiving end.

The bees were buzzing yesterday so I postponed my visit to the hive. My fellow bee keeper had peaked into her hives and found her queens released to I will imagine that mine are too. I will wait until Sunday to move the bodies and frames around to make feeding them easier. I will also add pollen substitute to give them much needed energy.

The new layer chicks are excellent as well as the Cornish Cross meat birds. The coop is overly hot so I air it out every few hours. I won't remove the vent covers since the weather is so drastically changing from day to day. I am sure it is worth the extra effort. I would imagine the hatchery that the chicks came from will no longer offer chicks in February. They must have suffered huge losses. It amazes me that people don't care much for animals in transit and don't shelter the chicks as they should.

The pigs are also excellent. Drinking milk like pros and growing quickly. The over wintered turkeys actually bred and have fertile eggs. I am contemplating incubation. Maybe.

Well on to school work and organizing for taxes for next year. Busy weekend ahead.

1 comment:

The Quaker Hill Crew said...

Just great to follow what you do there. All us city people here love to hear about all your adventures. Its all so interesting when you don't know anything except to go to the grocery store. Do agree with the dirt thing and kids. They need that free time. Be carefull with those rocks and mud around. Not good for use clumsey folks! Take Care,
The Quaker Hill Crew!