Monday, March 31, 2008

Rampant Chaos

Sundays are supposed to be the day of the week where we find ourselves contemplating the events of the previous week, spending time with our loved ones and planning for the week to come.

This Sunday couldn't have been farther from the stereotypical.

Relaxing with my husband in bed with coffee on Sunday and discussing what our plan of the day was interrupted by a phone call from the Post Office telling us the new Layer chicks had arrived. They weren't supposed to be here until Monday. Of course off I go to pick up the chicks while the troops at home prepare emergency accommodations for the little tykes.

By the time I get back with the wee ones and show them how to drink and eat I still have to milk the girls. By the time I am finished it is 11:00. No worse for the wear but it leaves me short on time to prepare for the bees. WHAT! The family is demanding food? FINE! I make a lunch of Kielbasa and Kraut on Bagels and my rescue team is content. Off to work on the hives, I still have time.

The bees arrive today and I am completely without bases for the hives. I am looking so forward to meeting, greeting and installing the bees in their new homes. I would like to try a few things I have considered.............Phone call from the hay guy.........a wagon of hay today...........pick up around 1:00. One learns never to say no when the hay guy calls, especially when one owes him copious quantities of cash. I am sure it is needed to help get cutting under way in the next month, maintenance of machinery and perhaps some manure for the fields. Still have time to construct the bases for the bees and get the hay wagon and be back in time for the bees.

Phone call from a fellow goat keeper, a poisoned goat is on his way out, could I PLEASE stop by and do what I can so her daughter knows that all has been done. I would never consider saying no. This is also the person who has been kind enough to pick up my bees for me saving me the trip. I arrive and the goat is not well at all. He has survived quite a long time and perhaps has a chance to make it. I do what I would have done for any one of my animals but I fear it may be too late. He is plugged up severely and I fear the toxins have been retained too long. He actually responds to treatment and seems better. I am hopeful that with continued support he will survive. The bees have arrived I'm still not ready but I don't want to leave the goat until I see a particular sign that I can go.

Have to go, it is getting late. On the ride back I realize I had forgotten about the hay and debt and now become anxious and angry at myself. Why? I DON'T KNOW!

Get home, switch the hitch right away. Scramble to get the hives outside and set up. The area where the are going to be is not ready but will have to do for now. I will never be able to say enough nice things about those who are my family and friends. My husband and son had put together and stained the bases for the hives (that I had cut and was going to assemble) and set down a vapor barrier on the ground and put some sand on top. I had planned to put down stone for ventilation and hardware cloth to prevent sub-terrainial attack but some rocks at the corner of the bases will do for now. I can't shake my anxiety about the hay and my bee keeper friend is installing the packages for me. I am angry about that but is saves me lots of time with reference to the hay. A phone check and the goat is not doing well. I wish I had stayed with her. She is young and had put a lot of effort into working with the goat and it will be a loss that will linger a while.

Settle another debt for the bees and everyone is running off to their assigned corners of their worlds. Pick up the hay wagon...........set dinner to cook...........evening animal care unload hay and we are done by 9:00. An anticipated message on the machine, the poor goat has had to be put down. Dinner is served and lunches made and I pass out by 11 way beyond the time I should hit the hay. This morning has been tough.

I am again out late for morning animal care but my hair is wet and I don't want to get sick. So here I am at the blog. I am now very late to go out for morning animal care but I have noticed my Son has quietly slipped from the house and headed out. He can be a great comfort at times. With contemplation it shouldn't have to outweigh the bone head things he does but then again it is the x-y thing.

I will check all the precarious new comers and remove some hay stuffed in the hive entrances last night late (since I couldn't find my reducers anywhere), peak in on the little peepers and try to calm myself with the pisht, pisht, pisht of morning milking and regain my calm of chaos.

First the mile walk out to the bus with my daughter and explain why sometimes things don't always go as planned and why Mom didn't eat the Devils food cake and icing that she made for my anniversary with her Easy Bake Oven. Sometimes I don't even have the energy to chew and believe me I will need it for that task. She is an angel as well as my son, husband and friends.

1 comment:

Amy Smith said...

I am so thankful that you were able to help. And to make up for putting your bees in, next year I'll let you install mine! :)