Thursday, May 1, 2008

Farming Sadness

Today one of my Junior Does kidded. Not a bad thing but she was early. The Kidds were presented wrong and definitly stressed by the time I got out to help her. There is really no reason why it happend except that the Veal Calf is a bit rammy and could have caused her to go early, had he stepped on her or was overly pushy. The Kidds were small only 2.5 (breached, rear first)and about 5 lbs(head to the side legs presented sideways). My normal Kidd weight is at least six pounds (on the small side with 7.5 average). Should they had gone to term they would only have been just a bit bigger. So neither kidd was saved and I hope I didn't damage the Doe with my large invasive hand that was trying to reposition the kidd, least we loose poor Doe also. She did cry in distress, there was some blood, not tons, both placenta were passed intact.

We finished our animal care by Noon today and the gravity of the morning is having take on my spirit. I will always feel such greif when young don't have a chance or are not given a chance. We do all we can but sometimes it is not the destiny of anyone involved to be sucessful. I pray for the strength given to me at the start to help me put this in perspective. Better a loss in the barn than a loss in the house. Yes, I am grateful for what I have.

No comments: