Monday, April 28, 2008

April Showers

As I walked my daughter down the driveway (1 mile round trip) we were exploring "sayings" and who came up with them.

Of course since the weather is rainy we spoke of "in like a lion, out like a lamb." and "April showers bring May flowers."

No I don't know who was the first to say it or who wrote it down so everyone else would learn them. Isn't it amazing that both of the sayings hold true in most years. Now if she were home schooled we would look it up and find other weather related sayings and discuss them. I would say that although my daughter goes to conventional school (for now) I continue to home school to enhance her spectrum of learning.

This year for earth day we worked in our garden (which is now ready to plant) and I hope saved one the Honey Bee colony by giving it a new queen. I wanted to go in and take a look to see how things are going but the weather will keep me at bay for a couple of days. We have our nectar all made for them since the blossoms that are out right now don't hold as much as the bees would like. I have a huge nest of Bumble bees pollinating my currents and cherries. Maybe their B52 size and noise keeps me from seeing the poor humble Honey Bees but I doubt it. The Bumble Bees have a nest in the front of my house in a old stump. I would love to see what it looks like however I would have to destroy it to do so. The entrance is about as round as a golf ball so it was easy to track them. Earth day was also the day one of our "Old Lady" goats gave birth to a huge buck kidd. She started labor early that morning but didn't kidd out until 2:00, OK maybe a little later that day. The kidd was in distress but all finally went according to plan. He is a strapping animal and he has a good home already.

We went to the 4-H auction on Friday and Saturday. I was spared purchasing anything on Friday because I had forgotten my money at home. They don't grant credit, yes I asked. Saturday I was not as lucky but most of the items are useful and the children participated.

Sunday I went to Canaan Ct. to meet someone from upstate NY to pick up my new Toggenburg buck. I realized you can't get to Canaan from here so I went to Fall River first. Upon arriving home I went out directly to look at another fixture for the someday Dairy Operation. Yes it will fit and I will have to call and go pick it up.

I look forward to Wednesday when my new Milking System arrives. I finally ordered on from Parts Dept. since the local guy had been less than happy to help me. I asked he get or make me one back in January. I think I gave him long enough. Sure then he calls and says that he thinks the parts are coming in today or tomorrow. Yeah sure. I offered to pay the shipping to send it back but he declined. I'm not so sure that they were coming in how about you?

Mom is feeling better with her Sinus infection and I look forward to her next visit. Tomorrow I am off to pick up a couple more calves. Too late to go today as I got chilled and needed to get some much needed rest. I have found staying up to 11or 12 (let alone any later) isn't what it used to be. No alcohol involved just makes it better the next morning but it doesn't make getting out of bed any easier.

No comments: