Thursday, September 18, 2008

In "summer"y

Well now that the summer is winding down it is time to reflect on all that has happened. Reflection about the summer while one tries to harvest and preserve the bounties of a garden that I have not more than just walked through all summer (I know there are edible weeds but really........) I know I planted seeds somewhere. I I mean Canna's that are eight feet tall, pig weed and goose foot at least four feet tall, look at that grass.....where is the machette?

Beside preperation for health papers for so many animals and birds so they can go to fairs, almost all the bird leg bands fall off to prevent them from being shown all summer (one fair will not pay for the testing done, which is all we have left.)and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the vet back to reband:

My beautiful daughter breaks a vertebre in her neck in an on farm accident (dealing with the insurance company),
600 bales of hay stored to the loft (do you know the price of hay?),
8 agrucultural fairs (lots of new friends and contacts and not enought premium money to pay for the fuel to get back and forth),
60 square of shingles on the roof and filling a dumpster (Do you remember how hot it was this summer?),
My son's apendectomy (surprise didn't see that coming either!),
five batches of chickens raised and sold (business holding on barely),
six pigs the same ("At The Farm Dinners" a worthy cause and tasty too, Google it, for it is good for local farmers including me),
four veal calves (there is a real shortage of farm calves who would have thought),
one heifer and several goats to auction (culling time for those who don't produce enough to pay for their grain),
the new bee hives giving me greif (one hive decided to swam (as in leave)not once but twice, ungrateful creatures....)
and finally the decision to homeschool both children...........

Yes, it took a considerable amount of stamina to get through. Keeping the farm running throughout the whole process was trying to say the least. My poor home has suffered the most. Thank goodness that it has a new roof and isn't complaining too much. So perhaps there was some moments of sheer exhaustion (What day is it? Where am I supposed to be? What do you mean it's raining again!).

Time for me? You must be joking.........

1 comment:

Amy Smith said...

But think of the stories you can tell your grandchildren! OR when your daughter comes to you complaining about her kids, you can say things like, "Do you remember that summer..."